Sunday, May 15, 2011

Juicy not Couture

I spent the day helping a friend out with spring cleaning and she introduced me to juicing.  Now, I am not new to juice and although sometimes even I think I live under a rock, I am aware there are several juice cafe's.  But I thought that to juice at home I would have to have one of those super expensive Juicers like you see on infomercials.  I found out today that you certainly do not have to have one of those expensive machines at all, especially of you are juicing for health reasons and prefer to retain the pulp of your veggies and fruits.  And you probably have one in your home already, a blender!

My friend put an unpeeled apple; a bundle of spinach; and about half a cup of frozen pineapple, she said that its good to add a frozen item to keep the juice cold; and two cups of water into her blender (my friend has a quality blender and she indicated that a lesser quality one may not work as well).  She pulsed the mixture several times and then blended on high for 30 seconds.  It was sooooo good!  It wasn't as sweet as some of the store bought juice blends that I have purchase, but it was very good.

I went to the store and purchased some fruits and veggies of my own to try out in my blender (Oster).  When I got home, I immediately went to work.  To my two cups of water, I added half a beet because they high in iron, folic acid, vitamins A, C, biotin, niacin, and many other benefits; I put in 4 carrots for their antioxidants and carotene; I added 4 brussel sprouts because they also are high in carotene, vitamin A and C, potassium, etc; and then I added two unpeeled pink lady apples, cored, for bone protection, cancer protection and weight loss HELLO! I also added half a cup of frozen peaches.  It was very good, I really enjoyed it.  I had enough to fill a 20oz. glass and had about 24oz left for tomorrow.  I was afraid that the beet would make it a little bitter, but the apple sweetened it to my liking.  If you prefer your juice blends sweet, I think using orange juice instead of water would work.

No more juice cafe's for me!

If anyone has any juice recipes or tips for me, I'd love to check them out.  I'm going to see if I can drop about 5lbs. from this new venture of mine.  I'll keep you updated.....Hope everyone had a great weekend. 

P.S. Did ya'll see that Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton got married?  Very cool merger....

No comments:

Post a Comment